Definition of supervision and coaching
- Supervision and coaching is a form of counselling serving the assurance and development of the quality of communication and cooperation in professional contexts.
- Supervisors and coaches work as freelance consultants and they implemented the concept of supervision as a stand-alone profession with standardised trainings, systems of quality assurance based on lively professional and scientific discussion and ethical codes all over Europe.
- Supervision primarily serves the development of individuals and organisations. It improves the professional lives of individuals regarding their roles in institutional contexts.
- Support in reflection and decision making processes concerning current professional issues
- Support in challenging and demanding professional situations and conflicts
- Clarification and processing of tasks, functions and roles
- Support in and handling of processes of change
- Innovative solutions for new challenges
- Prophylactic measures to avoid mobbing and burnout
- Counselling for people holding leading and management positions
- Impulses concerning the fulfilment of leading roles
- Development of personal performance
- Support in processes of change and problematic situations
- Support in personal career planning
Minimal standards for an educational program becoming a supervisor
- Educational requirement: EQF6 or Bachelor degree or proven equivalent diploma in human or social science.
- A minimum of 4 years professional experience after graduation.
- A minimum of 60 academic hours* of continuing education.
- A minimum of 30 hours proven supervisee experience.
Requirements for the educational program
- Duration of the program: A minimum of 2 years.
- Contact hours: 300 academic hours* (point 3 and 4 not included).
- A minimum of 45 hours practice as a “Supervisor in Training”, both in individual as in group setting.
- A minimum of 35 hours Meta-Supervision (Supervision on Supervision/ Teaching Supervision) both in individual as in group setting.
- Thesis presentation (including integration of the theory of supervision into the supervisor’s practice).
- Final examination or colloquium (demonstrating supervisor competences regarding the own thesis).
- Certificate approved by the national association for supervision.
* An academic hour is 45 minutes.
Stated March 28, 2020